Monday, December 29, 2008

It's a New Day


It's been some time since I've posted and that's only because life has been extraordinarily busy.  I'm so excited about our new president and basically what a new year brings. It brings new beginnings of love, hope, and change. If you have not done whatever your heart desires, please do it now. As my best friend of 24 years battled breast cancer this year has taught me, life is too short!!!

I think about November 4th, 2008, and I was so excited when I woke up at 5 a.m., which is a time I normally have to wake up. I knew the polls would be crowded but, as I reached my polling site at 6:40 am, I was shocked, I almost turned around, but I knew this was something bigger than me, something much bigger. I can't put it into words but, after 21 years of voting I have never had to wait on line to vote in any election and here were sons and fathers, great grandmothers who were wheelchair bound, children excited to be with their parents, all ages and all shades of black were on line to vote. Not once did I ever question who they all were voting for.

Now, when my daughter asked as a 6 year old, can I be president, I said yes, but deep down, I knew it wasn't possible, not in this country. But, now she can actually see that yes, with hard work, and determination, yes you too my daughter can be president, and I really mean it this time. So, I look forward to the new year, new life, new beginnings, new changes, and new hope of better things to come.

No comments: